Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Comfort food

Sorry I have been away. I don't know what I have been doing but I seem to have been soooo busy. And the few times I did try and sit at the computer, I was kicked off by a certain someone who needed it "for work" and other times I tried to sit down and blog I really needed to get work done, and we have also had alot of random days where our connection has been horrible and I have been unable to even get on the Internet. Very frustrating for me. I forget how much I rely on the computer for directions, recipes and keeping in touch with people. Today I planned to make Martha Stewart's Macaroni and Cheese for some dinner guests and all day long my computer didn't work! Thankfully, right around 5:00 I was able to connect, otherwise I might have had to try a version I found in Cooking Light. I don't know.... some things just aren't worth "cooking light" and I believe real macaroni and cheese is one of them. I mean, how often do I really eat it? And considering the fact I spent about 5 hours today chipping ice off the driveway I feel I deserve it. (and I have sore, jell-o-y arms and blistered hands to prove it!) But the driveway is finally clear -other than the speedbump of ice at the end- and we have some delicious Macaroni waiting for us!

Martha Stewart's Perfect Macaroni and Cheese
Serves 12
6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyere or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated pecorino Romano
1 pound elbow macaroni
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup pecorino Romano. Set cheese sauce aside.
4. Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 fewer minutes than manufacturer's directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.5. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano; scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve

1 comment:

JG Collection said...

That recepi sounds soooo much better then a crock-pot mac-n-cheese that I failed at making!!