Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Debate




I am sure most of you have heard of CSA's. (If not, it stands for Community Supported Agriculture.) Basically, you join a cooperative that allows you to enjoy the fruit of another man's labors. So city folk like us, who have no sun for growing gardens in our backyard, can enjoy garden fresh fruits and veggies without having to make a weekly trip to the Farmer's Market. The deadlines for joining most CSA's are coming quickly, and I am debating which one I want to join!


The average cost for each ends up at about 30$/week, which is about what I spend at the Farmer's market each week, but the quantity and variety is much larger than what I would normally purchase on my own. There is also some risk, if we have hail storms all summer I won't get much for my investment, but on the other hand, if we have the perfect growing season our boxes of produce end up larger than promised. Here is a link to some pictures a local women took of her weekly deliveries. Looking at them all made me hungry, so watch out!


I am torn between a few different CSA options. A few of them offer extended weeks, so you can have fresh veggies into the fall months and in the winter they will provide you with veggies they froze during the summer, as well as tomato sauces and soups they made from their produce. Another offers you a fruit share and you can have 3 months of apples, plums, pears, blueberries and cherries to go along with your vegetables. Still others let you add eggs, cheese and meat to your orders......... so many tough choices!!!!! I am leaning towards the fruit package, but I also like the idea of vegetables delivered to me from June-January........



Anyway, regardless of which choice we make you can be sure that the three of us will be enjoying farm-fresh produce this summer, (from someone else's farm) and maybe next year we will implement James' plan to make our entire front yard into a vegetable garden. I am not sure how our neighbors would feel about that!

5 comments:

downthegardenpath said...

what a terrible decision to have to make!! i'm sure you'll hit on the right match for your needs/wants.

Secondstreetdesigns said...

thanks to some major insomnia i decided last night at about 4:00 am. :) we are going to have veggies and fruit from May-January. I am going to try and can or freeze a little every other week or so too, b/c I know we won't eat all that.

Valerie said...

I agree with Ilona...what a fun decision to struggle with for a change! Sounds like you will have the best of all worlds. I will look forward to the photo of your first basket! And this includes delivery service? Or you have a pick up point?

downthegardenpath said...

and will your photos will rival the ones you linked?!

rinse repeat said...

Yum...what a wonderful opportunity!