Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Weekends


Last weekend we went to see the circus. Not the Ringling Brothers, but a local circus school that was celebrating their 15th anniversary. Circus Juventus put on an amazing show.


We ran into some friends there, and Aidan enjoyed the balance beam and some eye makeup. (James was so proud!)


















On our way home we also stopped at a Chinese Supermarket. I have never seen such cheap food in my life! We bought 10 lbs of Mangoes for $10.00. Amazing! They also had all sorts of obscure foods you read about in recipes but never know where to find, as well as live seafood and a vast array of other seafood as well. ( I didn't look too closely because fish kind of wig me out.) I had an overflowing cart for around $60.00 and James added rice, beans and ramen to his "when the market collapses-rainy day" stash. ( I know if it ever does happen I will thank him, but right now it is rather depressing to live with!)


So if you are local, you have to check this place out! I only took a picture of the outside because I felt so touristy. We were the only Caucasians in the store, and the owners kept asking us how we found the place, if their advertising worked, etc. Lots of fun. Lots of food. And next year Aidan, after a year of Chinese immersion, might even be able to read the packaging on the food!


















3 comments:

downthegardenpath said...

sounds fun. i remember making a circus date with aidan a couple years ago. and with you and naomi back in wahpeton - who can resist a circus??

it also looks like your hair has grown out quite a bit. a good look for you.

Valerie said...

Barb is a loyal customer at an Asian market in Des Moines where be buys rice in 10 pound bags, great avocadoes and all kinds of other things. I always want to gag when I first enter, but then I get used to it and enjoy watching her shop.

Valerie said...

The store even accepts her checks in spite the millions of signs posted throughout stating "no checks accepted." I would say this firmly establishes her Asian market creds.