Sunday, August 30, 2009

James' Birthday


Yeah - I know- it was two weeks ago! I am still catching up though, so please humor me!


James doesn't ask for much, he could really care less what he eats on his birthday or who he eats it with. He just wants to golf all day, and, ah, we will leave it there.


But he also loves this dessert, and every year when I make it I am totally befuddled. I can make all sorts of delicious desserts from scratch with real butter, good chocolate or fresh fruit, desserts that take 6 hours to make and require lots of skills, like beating, folding, whipping and caramelizing.


But he loves this. (the photo is from here too)


So every year we make it.


It is light and yummy, I can't deny it. People of all ages love it - and it is easy too. Sounds pretty much like the perfect dessert, eh?


So I will post the recipe here for you, so that you too can enjoy making a dessert of cool whip, cream cheese and pudding.


Pistachio Dessert

Crust:1 cup butter (or margarine)

2 cups flour

Cut butter into flour. Pat into a 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes until golden brown; cool.


Filling:8 oz pkg of cream cheese (I use light)

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup of Cool Whip


Mix above ingredients together a spread carefully over cooled crust.


Last: Beat 2 packages of instant Pistachio pudding and 2 1/2 cups of milk together

and pour over cream cheese layer.

Top with more Cool Whip. Just before serving, garnish with toasted almonds. Cut into squares and serve.



(Side note- I actually use sugar cookie dough for the crust. Yes- from a box. I keep them in my pantry for whenever I need a quick crust for something.)

4 comments:

bethany said...

Mmm...suddenly I'm hungry. Isn't pistachio pudding the strangest, and most irresistible dessert?

I love your little switch up with sugar cookie dough...you're a genius!

bethany said...

And have I ever mentioned that I love your playlist? It's chock full of incredible music!

Secondstreetdesigns said...

wow - that's too many compliments in one day for me! Thanks!

Chelle said...

Oh that pistachio dessert looks so scrumptious. And I would have to agree with Bethany on your playlist.