Tuesday, January 12, 2010


There are times in your life when you suddenly wake up and realize that you are indeed getting older. One of my recent wake-up calls was when I noticed I was avoiding certain cute shoes because they hurt my feet so bad I could hardly make it through the day! I used to wear all sorts of strappy, sexy shoes, but for the past few years I started living in Teva's and Keens. They looked great with scrubs, but weren't really the proper attire for my new job. The past few weeks when I picked up Aidan from school every day I would hear myself saying, "Hurry up- we need to go home because Mommy's feet hurt!"


So this weekend I decided that Friday was the last day I was going to hobble into Aidan's school, and I was going to finally face the reality that I am turning into my mother and my grandmother, and that comfort beats beauty. So I made my first ever trip to the Albertville Outlet mall to shop at the (sshhhhh.......) Naturalizer store. I tried to enter the store incognito - you know - sunglasses, big coat, head down, hoping the old ladies inside the store would be merciful to me........... and I was totally unprepared for what I saw. There were ladies, ladies my age and even younger browsing the aisles of cute boots and sexy heels! And the sales- half the store was %50 off or more!


My favorite purchase of the day were these ballet flats. They were down to $13.00 from $65.00 and they will be great for summer as I enter into the realm of professional close-toed summer shoes. (Again, my summer shoes consist of black or brown Reef flip-flops. This is going to be a big adjustment!) And no, you don't need to adjust your computer, they are indeed in mustard yellow which happens to be one of my favorite colors this year.


So if any other of my young friends out there are hobbling around at the end of the work day, it might just be time for you to bite the bullet and head to your local Naturalizer store. It is totally worth it! And you can leave your disguise at home!

10 comments:

downthegardenpath said...

ilove it!! so far i've been able to wear anything on my feet and have wondered if it will all catch up to me forcing me overnight into the world of orthopedics. you make it sound bearable!!

Stephanie said...

Cute shoes... in a great color! Keep up all the blogging, you're on the top of my list!

bethany said...

Ooo, for sure! I always scoffed at Naturalizer thinking, like you, that it was for 55 year old women...but truthfully, at the young age of 23, my feet are DYING. Dying, I tell you. I wear heels nearly everyday and sometimes at noon find myself loathing the rest of the day purely because I know I have eight hours of walking, moving and shuffling about in shoes that KILL.

I'm planning to take your advice to heart. :) I love these little yellow beauties, and I think you've changed my mind, here. Apparently you don't have to compromise anymore to get beauty and function in one shoe! :)

Anonymous said...

You mean to say you think I wear old lady shoes! I've always believed comfort is the key to HAPPY FEET! I think was about your age when Ifigured that out! Love Ya

Barb said...

Darling shoes! I will look for some here.
Do get yourself a pair of Danskos. You will think you are a new woman!

Valerie said...

Speaking as a 55-year old woman who regularly gets compliments on her cute shoes and boots from her college age students, let's back off on the ageist remarks here. It is possible to have it all at any age...shoe-wise anyway.

Lois said...

I can totally relate, Naphtali. I think the shoes are cute. I have been wanting to make a trip down to Albertville--now I have even more incentive. :-)

By the way, I saw your post when you guys took those "friend pics"--they turned out great! What a fun idea to do.

On Second Street said...

wow- I wouldn't have thought this post wopuld generate such a resonse! Val- where do you buy all your shoes?

Valerie said...

Many are bought on line via Zappos or 6 pm and then shipped to Ft. Dodge in anticipation of planned visits to the US. I am embarrassed to admit I took time to ship a few new pairs to Patti's in Fort Wayne even though I was headed there for a funeral. I simply cannot find my size in Mexico. I also love Nordstrom's sale racks, Von Maur's sale room when in Des Moines. And,yes, many of my shoes are Naturalizers!

On Second Street said...

well Val- I guess the next time you come to MPLS we will have to go to the Naturalizer outlet store. I usually avoid outlet malls, but I think this on eis worth the trip.