Friday, January 22, 2010

To Cut?

Or not to cut.



Mom- this post is really for you, so I hope the rest of you will humor me for a moment.





I have Christmas party at work tomorrow, and I have it set in my head that I want a skirt/sweater outfit similar to this. (It is Minnesota you know, thus the sweater!) But alas, they only have fuchsia, and it is a little out of my price range.









So last night I dragged my poor child from store to store in the mall, ( a place I usually avoid!) We checked all the clearance racks searching in vain for the perfect party dress/skirt. The whole night was a disaster because as soon as I would undress Aidan would suddenly need to make an urgent trip to the rest room! This happened five times. Let's just say that the bean soup was a little hard on his system.



At our last stop I found this dress marked down to only$30.00 from $128.00, and while it is a cute dress, I really want it as a skirt. And if for some reason it doesn't turn out it will make a few fabulous bags or pillows.






However, making the first cut is always hard. Once you do that there is no turning back. So there it lays on the bed in my sewing room.




Waiting for me to decide.










To cut? Or not to cut.

7 comments:

bethany said...

Okay, I know I'm not mom...but I have to say...DO NOT CUT! :) It is beautiful and I am very much in love with it as-is! :)

However, if you're like me, you will not be able to stop thinking until you cut it. It will call to you, and whenever you wear it, you will wonder what it might have looked like had you made those few little snips...

...in that case...cut it.

Gosh. I'm not much help at all! Sorry! :)

downthegardenpath said...

Why can't you wear it as a dress? Is the top too bulky to be able to wear a sweater over it without cutting?? Can you do a shrug?? (Does anyone do shrugs this year?) If you make the cut, decide you don't like what you have can you use the fabric for something else AND will you have something else you can wear without dagging your poor son all over the mall desperately trying to score at the last minute....
I'd say cut. but your sweater needs to be just right....

downthegardenpath said...

looking at it again what part of the story haven't you told us - why can't you just wear the dress?? You have good shoulders and arms.
Good luck with your sewing moms....

On Second Street said...

0h- i don't like where the dress hits my calf.

Valerie said...

I am tried very hard not to respond to this, but here I am. If you don't like the length of the skirt, hem it. Maintain the integrity of the dress which is lovely and classis, wear a sweater, shug, pashmina over your arms if you feel you must but cut only as a last resort. This bottom portion of the dress may no hold its lines as a skirt...as in the fullest part of the skirt may hit you where you don't want it to hit. Sorry for butting in on this mother/daugther moment.

downthegardenpath said...

no,no - feel free to chime in - if she wasn't willing to hear from anyone else she shouldn't have posted.....
Would hemming work?? Her initial question was just how to makethe cut work - never thought of whether hemming would eliminate the problem.
Naphtali,
We'll all be waiting to hear what you decided.(and expect pictures to back it up)

Barb said...

We are now having our 7th snow day! Blowing snow and strong winds through midnight.

I do want to know what you did with the dress!

Inquiring minds want to know!