Saturday, March 27, 2010

Date Night Part II





























Yes- his date finally came and she taught us how to make Chinese dumplings.
Aidan has been telling me for months that "Making dumplings is so easy Mom! You just need flour, water, vegetables and meat!" I didn't really believe him. However, I learned they are just.that.easy.
As a matter of fact, he is requesting to make them this week with my parents for his birthday dinner.
Originally the plan for the evening was that the two of them were going to go out for ice cream, (remember - this all started when Aidan made her a bracelet) but James and I tagged along because we decided to all go to a movie. The movie ended up being sold out so we went back to our house and played the Wii.
Now Aidan has two people he can actually beat, me and her.
We had lots of fun. Thanks Fang Laoshi for the yummy dumpling lesson!




4 comments:

Barb said...

I'm curious as to your fillings and what you use for sauces.

We have made potstickers for years. The filling is Italian sausage, broccoli, bean sprouts, ginger, garlic. We use equal parts rice vinegar and soy sauce for the sauce with some thinly sliced green onions and a bit of hot sauce.

On Second Street said...

Hi barb - she just used pork, scallions, chinese cabbage a litttle garlic and ginger. THat was it. And then boiled them in water. I admit, I was skeptical, I kept asking, well - shouldn't we use chicken stock to boil them? or add soy sauce and ginger to the water??? but no. she forgot her sauce, but we had some Chinese hot sauce and soy sauce we used. I think I am going to use this sauce recipe next week. http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumdumplings/r/jiaozi.htm

MommaMindy said...

We made these with a Chinese woman my age. She talked about food rationing while living under communist rule. Until 1970, they were allowed only 1/2 pound of meat per person per month. We used 1.3 pounds of meat while making water dumplings. That would have been the meat rations for almost three people while growing up.

I love the life experiences you are giving Aidan.

downthegardenpath said...

we're looking forward to the dumplings - among other things...