Tuesday, January 11, 2011


So last week Aidan and i stopped at a local to shop {Patina} to pick up a gift for a friend. One of his classmates mom's works there so soon we were talking as he wandered around and eventually he came and asked me if he could buy a book. I wasn't really paying attention as I was still chatting, and I continued to chat with her while I paid for our items, (and the book) and soon we were in the car and headed home.

When we got home he was all excited about his new book and asked to forgo supper so we could start reading. He sat on my lap and we started looking through his new magic book. The pages are full of card tricks, coin tricks........ none of them seemed to excite him. Finally the truth came out. He wanted the magic book so he could make J - his little nemesis at school - disappear. And if that didn't work, he was hoping the book would show him some other tricks he could play on J - like invisibly removing J's coat so he will be cold, removing Jason's dessert from his lunch ...... etc. The whole scenario struck me as funny. I mean, we never talk about magic or anything of the sort. He complains about J regularly and I usually advise him to "be kind to his enemies." (and yes - i have met the kid and he is rather awful.) And the thought of Aidan buying a book solely for that purpose? Also funny - but lesson learned - i should ask about the book before I buy it, right? Because when he found out that the book would only show him some sleight of hand he was lost his enthusiasm and hasn't opened the book since.

So if any of you are interested in learning some card tricks i have just the book for you!


No comments: