Tuesday, March 22, 2011

surprise!





Sometime in the middle of last week with all my cooking and working and running and nights out with friends, and furniture rearranging and school conferences........ (phew, and that doesn't even include all my normal "mom" tasks) I got it into my little head that I should surprise my mom with a quick visit. (Every item I listed above is a blog post waiting to happen. I just haven't had time yet) According to one of her last blog posts she
has been a little blue and missing my dad as she is in this transitional period of life. (They are in the midst of re-locating to Iowa. Since January my dad has been there working while my mom waits behind in Nebraska for the house to sell.)




I tossed the idea around in my head all week. I really loathe the 10 hour drive - especially when I am the only driver - and I had been so busy all week I kind of wanted to stay home and just relax. Then late Saturday night I checked the forecast and realized if I stayed home I would be enjoying a spring break full of snow. That was all the impetus I needed to pull myself out of bed Sunday morning, throw our bags into the back of the car and hit the highway!








And for once in my life the surprise worked! I actually managed to keep it a secret and i even talked to my mom while driving! I dropped Aidan off and kept my car hidden on the back side of their block. What fun! We were even able to see my dad before he headed to Omaha for some business meetings and thus far we have spent the majority of our time walking Charlie, playing with Charlie and making crafts.




Aidan picked out two Chinese origami and paper cutting books at his school book fair last week and we have been busy decorating Nana's walls.




In honor of our Chinese crafts we had an Aisan themed dinner last night as well.





I don't know - I think I may have over-done it with the food. looks like we won't have to cook today.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Congratulations on pulling off the perfect surprise!

downthegardenpath said...

It was a perfect surprise!
Thanks again for making it happen.

christa said...

FUN!! I can't believe you didn't say anything for ten whole hours!! Good for you! Oh, and can we hang out sometime when you get back? I haven't seen you in ages! Have fun and enjoy your time with your momma!!

Jeff Loves Jessica said...

wow aidan, that crafting is insane. i guess you learn from the best!

and that salad looks pretty stellar...