Monday, October 8, 2012




Wow, our summer has passed quickly.  it didn't take long for us to settle in and find a rhythm of our own here in this little house on second street.  we played a lot of games, did some fishing, camping, slept in a lot oh, and did I mention we went to Mexico? I have myriads of amazing photos from our trip, I will have to share them later.

In the meantime our autumn has been busy.  School and homework take up most of our time.  I have also been busy preparing for a very dear friends wedding.  I am so excited for her and I daresay it is going to be a lovely wedding.  

We also have been making and consuming massive quantities of zucchini bread.  When I say we, I mean I have been making it and Aidan has been eating up to a loaf a day.  Breakfast, lunch, snacks, he just can't get enough.  Or rather, he couldn't.  Last week he informed me he needs "a break from zucchini bread and would prefer I make him some pumpkin bread now that autumn is here and all ........."     Really?  I think we have about 20 loaves in the freezer and as many bags of shredded zucchini.  But sure,  any excuse to use the oven in the house.  (the oven in this house is the original 1950'2 oven.  It is slow to heat up, but once it is hot it is amazing and my bakes goods have never looked this good.)

So in case you have zucchini's waiting to be used up I will share my favorite recipe from the Smitten Kitchen.



Zucchini Bread 

Yield: 2 loaves or approximately 24 muffins


3 eggs
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 cup dried cranberries, raisins or chocolate chips or a combination thereof (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans, liberally.  Alternately, line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.
Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, as well as nuts, chocolate chips and/or dried fruit, if using.

Stir this into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans.

Bake loaves for 60 minutes, plus or minus ten, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Muffins will bake far more quickly, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.


Enjoy!



  


2 comments:

ilona said...

Oh! I just made Aidan a batch of zucchini bread! Guess I'll take it to work instead. I do have pumpkin on hand so maybe a loaf or 2 will make the trip north with us.

ali said...

Isn't it the BEST oven ever. I've never had one that bakes so evenly.