Saturday, June 5, 2010

Their Virgin Voyage

This year we took both Aidan and my parents to the Boundary Waters for the very first time.






The good news is - we all survived.






We had more than enough fish to eat, lots of sunshine and good company.






Aidan remarked just this morning that he would like to have some desserts next time we go, but other than that and a little sunburn, we were no worse for the wear.











My mom has already blogged that we left our house at 3:00 am. That way we could eat a nice breakfast,


stop and pick up our permits,



our canoes,





and be in the water by 9:00 am.












Headed out to the open waters!






Our trip consisted of lots of canoeing and very little portaging. We canoed across Moose Lake which is a "tow lake" for most people. But not us!!!!!!



















James, my mom and I were busy setting up camp. So my dad thought it would be a good idea "for Aidan" if they just started fishing.



They had the pole in the water for less than five minutes when...................




................Aidan caught a fish.





I hurried to grab my camera so I could take a picture and in the meantime Aidan caught another walleye.



At this point James decided fishing would be much more rewarding than setting up camp, so
it was up to my mom and I to pump water, chop wood and finish organizing the camp.
























Our campsite will remain a secret.


Sorry.


Because let me tell you, with that campsite we really hit the mother lode.


The only drawback was that our tents had to be right next to each other and unfortunately someone in each tent snored.





But we had bountiful offshore fishing, a cool breeze, privacy, wild roses, a beaver dam (for a constant wood supply) and later this summer some lucky camper will have wild strawberries, raspberries and blueberries for breakfast.






I think this is one of the last fishing photos I took because the novelty began to wear off.





A few rain clouds started to roll in so I literally had to beg, plead and coerce the men to put down their poles and help us with a tarp shelter.








Dinner for night one.









Gathering wood














My mom sawing wood.









fillet-o-fish










Nursing some bug-bites.




He already has plans to take his wife to the BWCA someday!






The last morning James and I were up early to take down the camp and we found Aidan sprawled across all three thermarests.



The morning we left the wind started off calm but we fought a fierce wind most of the way back. And no sooner had we packed up our gear and put the canoes back on top of the car, than a huge rainstorm hit. I am glad we made it out while we did.



And after a few days of healthy eating, we stopped at Gordy's in Cloquet for some burgers and ice cream.





Butterscotch malts.......................Mmmmm............ A perfect ending to a perfect trip.





2 comments:

downthegardenpath said...

You always take such good pictures.
Thanks again for taking us along...

jenica said...

Wow! You are all quite the outdoors people! Gorgeous photos!