Thursday, January 13, 2011


It was just a simple jar of barbecue sauce. I reached into my cupboard and pulled it out and found her little note still taped on the top.

"Merry Christmas Nat. I hope your holiday season is filled with peace, love and some fun too. I miss you and love you. Love Darlene.


I pulled it out because we were going to make barbecued meatballs at work tomorrow in honor of our friend. She made the best barbecue sauce ever and if she gave you a jar it was like winning the lottery.

Little did we know the real prize was having Darlene as a friend.

Our friend Darlene went home this week. I didn't say good-bye to her. She emailed me that morning and asked me if she could still come for dinner in two weeks. I replied "Of course, have a great trip to Florida." She didn't make it to Florida. She actually died mid-air.

I was going to bring the barbecue sauce to work but I don't think I can. I hadn't cried yet. I thought I was glad for her. Glad that she finally left her suffering body for a better place. But when I pulled out that note I realized that was my last note ever from Darlene and all the emotions came tumbling down.


I never finished sharing the professional pictures from her party. Maybe tomorrow. In the meantime I am going to tuck my precious jar of barbecue sauce back in my cupboard with its little note taped to the side. I think I will save it for a special occasion.


5 comments:

On Second Street said...

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/darlenehauff/journal

a link to her obit and caring bridge journal

Valerie said...

Oh, Naphtali, so much sadness, so many changes.

Sending you healing thoughts.

jess said...

So sad for you....

swell.life said...

so sad to hear this, but really rejoicing for darlene at the same time. i'd never even met her but the way she blessed people is so evident!

hope you and your friends at work are holding up ok. thinking of you guys!

Anonymous said...

Miss talking to u
Dad