Friday, November 14, 2008

Crazy?

I know some of you might think I am, and I suppose the fact that I am blogging at 12:30 am about a cleaning product doesn't do much to change your mind. But I am waiting for my floor to dry, so I am stuck upstairs for a little bit. And I have to tell you what I tried tonight!!!





First I have to set the record straight, no, I am not crazy, and no I do not usually intend to get wrapped up in so many odd little projects. Tonight I was cleaning our house because we are expecting an old friend tomorrow for lunch. Now, I know he could probably care less if my house is clean, but we are also expecting guests on Monday for dinner, and as I have been sewing non-stop in all my spare moments, little things like house-cleaning and grocery shopping have fallen by the wayside. That is why, when I went to grab my cleaning products tonight and I didn't have any, I had to rely on my trusty friend Google, and search for "Homemade Furniture Polish." I usually splurge on this lovely product, but the last time I went to pick some up they were out, so I had nothing. My search provided me with a basic recipe: vinegar, some sort of oil and some sort of fragranced oil. Easy enough, I used Almond oil along with some gingerbread and apple scented oils and not only did my wood gleam, my house smelled like I was baking. Then I also found I was out of soft scrub. So back to the computer I went, and I found this amazing recipe. Mmmm. Not only did it clean beautifully, my house smells good enough to eat! (Too bad the rest of my family is sleeping soundly and unable to enjoy it) I loved it so much I decided a clean kitchen wasn't enough, I had to try it out in the bathrooms too, and it even removed hard water and soap scum. You guys have to try it!



Creamy Peppermint Soft Scrubber
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup Borax laundry booster
1 TBS Castille soap
5-10 drops peppermint essential oil
1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients in medium sized glass jar. Fasten lid and shake very well. Pour onto surfaces to be cleaned (Formica, tile, porcelain, granite, etc.) or onto washrag and watch grime and residue disappear with very little scrubbing effort! Rinse well with the hottest water you can stand - no need to polish fixtures since they will shine so nicely after this natural cleansing.
(You can find more information here.)






I had just run through Target this evening, picking up a few things for tomorrow, and found that they now sell Dr. Bronner's Castille soap in their beauty aisle. Who would have thought. For years you could only find it at Co-op's and places like REI. Anyway, I picked up some citrus flavored, which smelled great with my peppermint oil.



Oh, I can't wait to clean again tomorrow.

3 comments:

downthegardenpath said...

what were your proportions for the furniture polish?? should we look for some of these goodies under the tree with the lip balm??
our greetings to rob. i missed his birthday (how is that possible!?) hope you have a good visit.

MB said...

if you want to clean more, come on over :)
p.s. you are crazy...but we love you.

The Three Amigos said...

Naph - is there anything you can't do? Love the ideas, but lack the time to mix my own cleaners. Sounds fun though. Btw - We need to plan another dinner night :-)