Sunday, May 1, 2011

Finishing up



A few weeks ago I showed you some pictures of my newly whitened basement. I am loving the empty, spare feeling that the walls evoke and it has caused me to start cleaning out my house in whirlwind fashion. For any readers feeling stressed or frantic by their every day life having less to look at & less to clean is a very peaceful feeling. Not that my house is totally empty........ don't get me wrong. But there is less around and my kitchen is next on the list. How many napkin rings can one person use? Why do I have so many sets of dishes? Really - wine glasses for the different seasons? Two punch bowls?

Anyway, last weekend I finished painting the downstairs ceiling and I also painted the stairs so my work here is done. Done! What a nice feeling that is too!

For the last few years we had and adorable striped runner on our light yellow stairs and i had a major love/hate relationship with the stairs. Cute - yes. Practical - no. Footprints, dust, coffee, food, tracking, more dust - keeping those stairs clean was a battle I was constantly losing but not anymore!




I haven't swept them since I painted them one week ago and you would never know. (For that matter I haven't vacuumed the carpet either but again, you would never know.)


They do look a little rustic, and I think I may need to distress them a little bit. (Or send Aidan up and down them all day with a bag of rocks.)

In the meantime, if any reader is in need of a punch bowl or some extra wine glasses I am your girl.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow...what a wonderful change. Everything looks and sounds so much lighter literally and figuratively. Congrats!

downthegardenpath said...

I like the new look!

Liv said...

I think the stairs look so great, the color contrasts the whiteness so well.

As I've said before, your house is just so lovely.

And I for one am a huge fan of less stuff, so I do not need those extra wine glasses.