Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hydrangeas and Beebalm



The other day I came home and found half my hydrangea's had been broken to the ground. I quizzed Aidan, "Did you- ? Did your friends-?" But when I looked more closely I saw all my bushes were knocked to the ground and I realized my blooms are so large this year they are literally breaking the branches! Apparently this cooler summer must be what they like because they are now taller than my head. They are so large, in fact, that they are preventing my clematis from getting sun, and so this year it only bloomed at it's tip - where it actually sees the sun's rays.

My beebalm has also spread like wildfire this year. I love the hot pink in contrast to the white.

Don't you?

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yes- love them! Jealous I don't have any shady beds for them.... you should look into a PeeGee Hydrangea tree. Love it.