Sunday, October 17, 2010

What I have been doing

Lately, in addition to work and home, I have had another project that has been consuming my time. I have been meaning to blog about it, but I have been too busy. There are a lot of details, so I may be able to spread this out over a few posts........... if I can find time to sit at the computer.





It all started a few months ago with an idea. We were sitting at a meeting at work talking about Darlene, our office manager. She is the kind of women I can barely even find words to describe. Inspirational, thoughtful, energetic, compassionate.... the list could go on. She has been battling cancer for the past decade, and after every round of chemo has been able to triumphantly overcome, pack her bags and head off on vacation. She also is one of the few people I know who has been able to successfully balance her job with her passions in life. She always walked to work, is an avid gardener, a gourmet chef, and a gracious hostess. She also is my "go-to" person at work. Since I have taken this management job I have had to have some of the most awkward and uncomfortable conversations with employees, and she always backs me up or gives me wonderful advice on how to deal with people. So, back to the meeting - we were talking about Darlene. She is batting her cancer again, but this time we aren't so sure she is going to win. We were talking about something special we could do for her, and no one had any ideas.






Fast forward a few weeks and I was driving in my car listening to Lynne Rosetto Kasper on NPR. I love that lady, and you know what? She lives in the Twin Cities. So I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be amazing if we could plan an event where Darlene could meet Lynne?" I could imagine them sitting down over a glass of wine and recounting tales of pasta's they enjoyed in Italy.










So how to get a hold of Lynne........ I hand-wrote a letter to her and I also emailed her show. And do you know what? I had a phone call within two days!!!! Unbelievable! Unfortunately however, Lynne is on book tour and cannot plan anything for the fall, but would love to send Darlene an autographed cookbook.







I took a picture of the package - I was so excited. No pre-made address labels, this was hand-addressed to me, from her home address. I have a little celebrity crush on her, so I just stared at the package and kept it in my desk, unopened for a good week or two.




Finally I opened the package and found this book, with a lovely note for Darlene. I wanted to wait and give it to her at the party but I just couldn't wait. What if the party never happened, or worse yet - she has been so sick - what if she doesn't make it to the party? So I gave her the book but instructed her that she wasn't allowed to ask me any questions because I want the whole thing to be a surprise.






Okay. So that is Chapter One in the party planning story. Stay tuned, there is more to come!

1 comment:

downthegardenpath said...

I'm so glad you gave her the book. Thinking about Darlene always makes me tear up and right now I'm fighting back tears again...