Monday, January 26, 2009

Dilemma's

So the other night James went to study at Caribou, but instead he came home with a new HDTV and a PS2. Surprise! But... it was really Caribou's fault because their Wi-Fi was out, so instead he read the paper and found the sale. So, instead of sitting down at my sewing machine with a nice cup of tea I ended up literally rearranging the house to make our new large friend welcome. Somehow we (I) ended up moving the furniture around, rearranging Aidan's room, the upstairs closets, etc, and I am still trying to figure out what to do to make things work.




I searched all over Craigslist, the Internet, IKEA, Pottery Barn, etc, looking for "something," and then I found a fabulous something at the thrift store tonight. A big, beautiful buffet for less than half the price of the pieces I liked at IKEA.










The two guys at the thrift store didn't think I could get it home. Mr. Dread-lock and the "turbaned" man informed me it would never fit in the back of my Subaru, and I should just come back later. I smiled sweetly and asked them to just try one time, and surprise, surprise - after a few pushes and pulls, in it went, and I was rewarded with a round of High-Five's. They didn't know who they were dealing with. I know just how much I can pack into that car!





Now the dilemma is what to do with this big piece. It is very pretty and it seems old, although I can't find markings on it to figure out just how old it is. My original intent was to paint it white and distress it, but for some reason all of it's beautiful wood grains are begging me not to cover them. So, I can leave it brown and leave it downstairs, or trade it for the shelf in James office.






I think the buffet would be much better suited to hide all his treasures...... but it is so pretty, no one will ever see it, and it holds so many of Aidan's toys......







So I will sleep on it for a few days, at least until after the TV is mounted on the wall where it is going to be eventually, and who knows, maybe I will end up doing some more rearranging and you will have to read another post about it all!


(This post is really for my mom, because I always ramble on about decisions I am making about moving things around the house, so I hope none of the rest of you minded having to endure this! )

3 comments:

downthegardenpath said...

i'm glad you gave it a home, and agree that you should live with it awhile before painting. and yes it would suit james' office but give it until after the tv is on the wall. with the top cleared off a globe, some baskets, whatever the right accessories might be, would make all the difference.

downthegardenpath said...

age in furniture (like some people) can be told by the joints...

JG Collection said...

GREAT job on the wall and AMAZING find at the trift store!!