Thursday, May 7, 2009

Anybody read Peter Rabbit?


This is one of my favorite times of year. I love walking around the house every morning and evening, checking out all the flowers and trees, and excitedly pointing out all the new plants to Aidan. One of my favorite gardens has really been faltering this year. Stinking cold weather. Or so I thought.


I also love to hang my bedspreads out on the deck this time of year, and even though our deck is under a huge shade tree, I have never had problems with any birds..... you know what I mean. Except this year. Lots and lots of white splotches all over the deck, I find new ones all the time. The nice things is - the birds must feel comfortable, and we have been serenaded all spring. Last week I found one of their homes - apparently my wreath looked like the perfect place for a nest. I feel heartless taking it down, but if the mess on the deck continues......


So - the nest is right above my favorite garden. And as I was examining the nest, I found the source of my garden problems. Two of them. (Or at least two that I was able to see.)





They have completely devastated my entire bed. No kidding. I am so irritated I wanted to wring their necks. And if you would have been here, you would have been extremely entertained by our family as James, Aidan and I chased them around with buckets, cement blocks and blow guns. Yeah - all I have to say is that when the market totally collapses and we have to live off the land, we are definitely going to be vegetarians. Maybe not by choice, because I have to admit that we were outsmarted and outrun by a bunch of baby rabbits.



After we wasted a good hour hunting rabbits I decided to head to our local nursery and pick up some animal repellent, which James kindly sprinkled on all my gardens. What a waste of $20.00!!!!! Maybe we need a dog or a cat. Or maybe I will have to take over the blow gun! Let me just tell you- the rabbits are not going to win.

6 comments:

downthegardenpath said...

classic visuals of the three of you chasing around the yard with your arsenal! have you tried red pepper?? and marigolds??

Jill said...

maybe you need some bigger guns... I could bring over a few. I'm getting pretty handy with my 22. I'd try a live trap. Good idea to hang the bedspreads out.

Nick said...

Perhaps "Kitty Grandma" could give you some new kittens.

Anonymous said...

HI

Why dont you use Grandpa J"s idea in thecan. James can fix that problem. Just give him acan!

bethany said...

Oh, but what sweet little visitors (even though they're probably pesky)?!!

When I was little, a mama rabbit invaded our garden and left her little baby rabbits behind. So, my parents let us 'adopt' them until they were big and strong enough to make their own way. They were so sweet :)

Good luck keeping them out of your produce!!

Secondstreetdesigns said...

what's the can idea?