Monday, April 27, 2009

Try this!


Before you read the recipe- let me tell you a little bit about it. It consists of only four ingredients, carrots, cabbage, spinach and red peppers. My mother-in-law made it this past Easter and I have had a bowl of it in our fridge ever since. (Thanks Jane!)


Now before you decide against it because it has cabbage in it I have to tell you - I personally have never been a huge fan of cabbage, but I have come to enjoy it recently. I tried this salad and found it surprisingly tasty and almost melt-in-your-mouth. (I also tried the dressing/cheese with a can of chickpeas per her recommendations, and trust me - is probably the fastest, cheapest, most filling lunch possible, not to mention delicious, and it lends itself to all sorts of other ideas, like adding fresh tomatoes and basil, or eating the chick-peas over a lettuce salad with some other fresh veggies as well....... endless.)


But back to this salad, along with being colorful and nutrient packed, it lasts in your fridge for a week. Not many salads have staying power like that - you just have to make sure all the ingredients are clean and dry when you put them together.


So you need: One red pepper, cleaned and chopped,

One bag/container of spinach

One bag sliced carrots- or slice your own into coins or slivers

One small head of red cabbage, finely sliced.


Toss all the ingredients together. Then, there are all sorts of fun variations you can try. I think Jane's original recipe called for roasted pumpkin seeds and balsamic vinaigrette. I tried that- delicious. I have also added hard cheese, chicken, almonds, sunflower seeds, eggs, to name a few. I even added some apple slices once. Yum. I think my favorite dressing thus far has been poppyseed, it is the perfect combination to tangy and sweet, and I like it with the pumpkin seeds.


So anyway - sorry to rant on so long about a simple salad, but it is so rare that you can buy all the ingredients, chop them up and have them stay fresh in your fridge to be enjoyed for a week! Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Barb said...

N-I so wish you were here to attend herb group! I am hostessing it tonight. I am making basil guacomole and tomato ravioli soup with fresh rosemary.

The salad sounds delicious!

Can't wait to try it!

downthegardenpath said...

do you make the basic recipe, keep that in the fridge and add the extras as you go along?? or does it hold up, even with apples, for the whole week??

Secondstreetdesigns said...

no - i just make the basic four things and then take it every day for lunch with a something different on it.