Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Green Day."


If you have followed my blog over the years you might remember that Saint Patrick's Day is very important at our house. No, not because we are Irish or Catholic or anything like that - but because green is Aidan's favorite color. Actually let me rephrase that. Aidan is a freak about green. And I would be lying if I didn't confess that another highlight of the month is the Shamrock shakes at McDonald's. (If you are interested you can find lasts years post here along with the pictures of Aidan and I and the green wigs.)


Today we have big plans. We are going to get a Shamrock shake and then Aidan will eat green food for dinner off of green plates and he will use green utensils, straws and glasses. (Oh - and his room is green, I am sure he will wear green clothes, and we also have lots of green toys around our house as well. We have green all year 'round at our house because he just can't get enough!) I also made some cookies with green M & M's for the occasion, but sadly I can't send them to school with him to share with the other kids because there are all sorts of rules about homemade food at school. So James and I will both take some to work. I have been trying to "Eat to Live" the last few weeks, so I made some adjustments to my regular cookie recipe to make them a little healthier. They taste great but the flax seeds seem to get stuck in your teeth.


(Oh, and back to the book "Eat to Live" - I may blog about it later. It isn't just supposed to be a diet but a lifestyle choice and I have recently been making some changes because Aidan has been sick so much. So let me try it for a few weeks and I will get back to you.)


In the meantime my "healthier" chocolate chip cookie recipe. Enjoy! (Don't worry, nothing beats shortening in a cookie, so I haven't totally gone off the deep end!)



Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 Cup shortening

2 cups flax seed meal

3 eggs

1 cup brown rice syrup

1 cup brown sugar

2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp baking soda

2 cups white flour

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 bag chocolate chips



Mix well. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.


1 comment:

downthegardenpath said...

Tell Aidan happy green day for me - I've got a green shirt that I'll be wearing to work in his honor. Oh and a hug,too. Maybe throw in a kiss or two..