Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Coconut Orange coffee cake


My mom used to make this coffee cake for us kids as a special breakfast treat before school.


I have made it a few times lately and it is always met with rave reviews so I thought I would share the recipe. (Although Aidan won't eat it because I told him it was coffeecake, so he thinks I have literally put coffee in it and refuses to try it. I guess next time I make it I will have to make it with him so he can see there is absolutely no coffee in it!)


Orange Coconut Coffeecake


1 1/2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1 8 oz carton of orange yogurt

1/2 cup oil

1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs


Mix wet together, add dry, trying not to over mix.


Pour into a greased 8 x 8 pan.


Arrange 1 8oz can of well drained mandarin oranges on top of cake.

Next, mix 1/2 cup of coconut with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and then place that mixture on top of the oranges.


Bake at 350 for 20-40 minutes, or until cake is done. If you use the toothpick check method it will be a little "wet" on the toothpick because of the oranges, so I usually jiggle the cake, and when it is solid in the middle you know it is done.


Also, sometimes it is hard to find orange yogurt, so then I just use vanilla. Just make sure you are using real yogurt that has no artificial sweeteners because they don't have predictable outcomes when baking.

4 comments:

downthegardenpath said...

mmmm it's always good! I've brought it in for work a few times. Maybe we could have when we come for Aidan's birthday?

Stephanie said...

A while ago when Aidan stayed at our house, I made coffee cake and he absolutely refused.. later I tried to trick him and called it another name...nope, the kid is just too smart! :) The recipe looks delicious!

dining room tables said...

I can make some for a party here at home. This is a nice cake. Something to offer to the elders.

Jill said...

My mom made this for her residents coffee time. It was a big hit and she thanks you!! She just can't figure out this commenting thing! LOL :)