Saturday, January 30, 2010

Where I have been this week

..... Hanging out in the smitten kitchen.
We made this salad which tasted as good as it looks, (I also added an avocado I had sitting around.)
and made this spaghetti but we had to add some meatballs for Aidan's sake (and it really was delish! I admit I was skeptical that butter and tomatoes would be sufficient. I am used to making homemade spaghetti that requires hours of cooking and spices and work)
This macaroni and cheese is always a hit,
Tried this, but my cake somehow imploded and ended up as a trifle instead. Our guests didn't even know they were eating a mistake.
Burned some of this granola that I was making for a work breakfast, but came out with a really good recipe I kind of made up with ingredients I had on hand. Lots of people wanted the recipe, so I think it is a keeper. It is still crispy too - which I think is directly linked to the massive quantity of butter I used.
Homemade Granola
1 stick butter, melted
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix these together and then add:
3 cups oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped almonds/walnuts/pecans or nut of your choice
(I also added 1/2 cup of flax seed to try and make it a little healthier, but you don't have to)
Line a large baking sheet with foil, and spread out your granola as thinly as possible. Bake at 275 until all the pieces are toasted to a golden brown. Stir frequently.
After the granola has cooled you can add 1-2 cups of dried fruit. I used craisins, but in the past I have used dates, figs, apricots, apples, peaches, raisins, blueberries etc. Store in an airtight container for 7-10 days, or keep it in your freezer.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hey thanks- think I'll make up some granola for the week. Outa honey though, we'll see. Question- always wanted to make a good homemade mac n cheese.. so do you use this fancy cheese it calls for with the sharp white cheddar? Or what kind did you use??

On Second Street said...

yes - I always use different kinds of cheese. the more different kinds you use the better.